Friday, April 23, 2010

Vegas No Bueno


I hate living in Vegas. I never wanted to move here in the first place, but love is a powerful thing. At first it actually wasn't so bad, especially when I was a teacher, but once the state of Nevada took that away from me, I was ready to pack my bags.

In 2008, I got a job at UNLV and I have been working there ever since so employment thankfully is not the issue.

It's the culture in general. I miss the South, the food, the people, the activities catering to African Americans. Even more importantly, my dream job/career is not and never will be here. I want to work at an HBCU or teach English until I get my PhD and then transition to an HBCU but there are NO such possibilites here. My dream has been the same since I was 16 years old, I've made no secret about it, but here I am working a job that does not utilize my knowledge and skills. I'm grateful for employment, but unhappy with my position.

This is driving me crazy and make me depressed all in the same. I want to move but love and benefits lol keep me here. I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to deal with living here, but I am waiting on the Lord because I know if He ordains a move it will be blessed.

Thing is I think He may have already told me what to do, but I'm so paranoid so I second guess myself constantly. I wish HE would hold up a neon sign with my name on it, telling me EXACTLY what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment